Francis Bedford (England, 1816-1894): "Chester. God's Providence House" (Reconstructed 1862) Albumen print, 8" x 11-1/4", circa 1880
God's Providence House (built in 1652) was a noted landmark long before its reconstruction ; J. Romney published an engraving of the building in 1853. This was the only house left untouched by a 17th century plague; its exterior bears the quotation "Gods Providence is Mine Inheritance."
The sign on the street-level shop reads "J. Harker & Co./R. Gregg. Rope, Brush & Mat Manufacturers." The shop window next-door offers a display of fresh fish.
The negative for this photograph may have been taken shortly after the reconstruction of the building in 1862, and printed over the course of many years.
Return to the "Destruction and Preservation" gallery
Next Gallery: Interiors/Exteriors
© 1998 Wm. B. Becker -- All Rights Reserved